Pruning Fargesia

gardenbug(8b)March 29, 2013

My Fargesia bamboo has been in a container for a couple of years. I am getting some new growth right now but the leaves on the rest of the plant are a very pale green/yellow. Would it be wise to cut the bamboo back and let all the new shoots grow? How can I get the leaves greener? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

It could indicate too much/little water, inadequate light, need for fertilization, or a need for repotting. In any case, "pruning" will not help. Bamboo are not like other plants in this regard. All pruning will do is permanently remove branches that will never grow back, and it will not stimulate growth. I can't tell you exactly what is wrong given the little info provided, but I can tell you that pruning is not the solution.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 1:35PM
kentuck_8b(__)

I agree with Kudzu, pruning will NOT solve the problem.

However, the yellowing leaves could also be seasonal or the seasonal changing of the leaves, but it may be happening in conjuction with any combination of the problems that Kudzu mentioned also.

Kt

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:55PM
gardenbug(8b)

Thank you both for your quick replies. Okay, NO PRUNING..got it! Hmmm, okay most likely seasonal changes then. I fertilized it last week with a little bit of lawn fertilizer. I haven't watered it because it is already moist. It is sitting in a sunny spot and it has several new shoots. Should it be kept in the sun? Thanks again for your help.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 3:27PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

cadence-
That all sounds fine. Sun is good as long as the soil is moist. I'm wondering how big the plant is in relation to the pot. Can you post a picture of what you are dealing with?

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 3:32PM
More Discussions
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™