best plants for arizona?

Scarletts.Mommy(9)April 24, 2012

hi, im new to arizona and am really wanting to start working on my gardens but have no idea of where to start. im from louisiana where everything grows pretty much. any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracydr(9b)

What kind of plants? Lots of things grow here. Veggies, flowers, shrubs, trees.
Do you have irrigation or do want plants that are desert adapted?

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 10:53AM
aztreelvr

If you're looking for landscape plants, I'd recommend the following resource. It includes a database of over 600 plants but the best thing are the photos of actual landscapes in the Phoenix and Tucson area. You can search by landscape 'theme' in the Garden Tour section for images of Desert Serenity, Residential Oasis, Desert Comfort and dozens more. Or try the Garden Gallery for design elements like Patios, Wildflower Gardens, Walkways, Planters, etc.

Just visit the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Wise Landscaping

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 12:17PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Hi there, welcome to AZ and to the forum, we hope you'll post lots and lots of updates.

You can search for forums for "books" and find some good discussions of some books that will really help you get started (plus the great publication AZtreelver posted too (I keep a copy of that in my man purse, LOL)).

Here's a link to a fun short discussion with lots of tips and book suggestions for new gardeners. This is a wonderful, great gardening climate and one of the most entertaining I've ever grown plants in. Just remember we're entering the most challenging time of year (summer) when paying attention to watering is critical, as is having established plants too.

Great luck and welcome again. Post often. Oh wait, I said that, well, I mean it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread from March with tips/suggestions for AZ Newbies

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 2:53PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Um, that was supposed to say "....you can search THIS forum for the word "books"....."

Darn cold 80 degree weather, it's affecting my typing today. :P

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
Pioneersands just lost a customer. (Bulk soil/manure/mulch)
I've been buying bulk soil(sandy loam), manure, and...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™