BANANA Musa - Double/Mahoi and ice cream banana

lycheeluva(6/7)February 20, 2008

has anyone grown either of these varieties- can they be grown in a large container?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wanna_run_faster

The Ice Cream aka Blue Java gets big. Mine was at least 9 or 10 feet tall. If you still want to try, I might have a small ice cream pup to trade.

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 10:22PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Double Mahoi can be grown in a container. Mine seems to be more subjective to root rot than some of the others in containers so be careful especially in the winter with the watering. Also my Double Mahoi (6 ft) does not seem to sucker near as much as the other bananas that I have, until it actually flowers.
Some other good edible ones for containers are dwarf cavendish (5 ft), dwarf orinco (5-6 ft.), grand nain (6-8ft). The dwarf brazilian also only get to 7-9 ft and has edible fruit- I haven't tried that one but it seems like it might do okay in a container as well, maybe someone else can comment on that variety.
~Lenette

Bookmark   February 22, 2008 at 11:55AM
Bruce91109

I bought a Double Mahoi from Florida Hill Nursery so they said it was, but it suckers alot after about 3 months. There is 2 suckers and one is almost as tall as the original plant. Its about 8in tall now. Can a Double Mahoi sucker a lot or maybe did they send me something different ?

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 5:19PM
brandon1971

I just removed pups from my potted double Mahoi I bought at Walmart and I counted 19 off one plant. I bet 12-14 will survive. Ft Myers fl.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:44PM
Tavares1986

Hi, i need help! I really want a Double Mahoi plant! I'm from Portugal, anyone know were i can get it? A international seller?
Thanks

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
New banana plant, has it already fruited?
I had a gardener plant a banana tree. However, he failed...
derekcentrico
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
ice cream banana tree
i have had the bananas for a few months.. dont seem...
sudsmcduff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™