Bamboo Identification?

randy_tn(z6 TN)March 22, 2008

Hello:

I am trying to ID this bamboo growing at a friends house. It has been there for at least 10 years. The max culm diameter is 2", but most are 1 - 1 1/2". I cut one of the taller culms and laid it out on the ground and it measured 39 feet(Measured with tape). There were several that were a little taller but most were 28-35 feet. It is located in Middle Tennessee in a partially shaded area along a creek. The max. distance between nodes was 14" but most were less. I know its not golden or yellow groove as I know what these look like. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mystery Bamboo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hank11(8 Northern Ca.)

sounds like p. henon. a pic of the cane and top would help. was the cane thick or thin walled?

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 7:53PM
randy_tn(z6 TN)

If you click on the link " Mystery Bamboo " at the bottom of the page there are a dozen or so pics to view.

Thanks

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 8:09PM
kentuck_8b(__)

Looks like P. nigra Henon. If it is, you can scratch off the waxy coating on the culms with your fingernail. Try it and see. Some other bamboos have a powder, instead of a wax coating.

Kt

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 9:39PM
randy_tn(z6 TN)

Hello and thanks for the response.

hank111 - The cane was almost 1/4" thick at the base, but on up it was about 1/8" to 3/16".

kentuck - I tried scratching the culms and it did leave a mark, but there's not much of that waxy coating on them.

This bamboo doesn't look quite like the pics I've seen on the web for P.nigra Henon. Although the culms on the inside of the grove do have a slight grayish cast, the outside ones don't exhibit the grayish casting. Since I've never seen P. nigra Henon in person, I will defer to the experts here.

Thanks again for your help.

Randy

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 9:36PM
kentuck_8b(__)

My Bory culms also have the grayish colour to them, and just like the Henon, some don't have the gray colour, at least until they get older.

It should be shooting soon, so if you could get a photo of the newly emerging shoots, this would be very helpful.

Kt

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™