how long does freesia and ranunculus bulb take to sprout?

gary_azApril 8, 2007

Hi,

I'm in gilbert, AZ.

I had planted ranunculus and freesia bulbs a couple of weeks back but haven't seen anything sprout so far.

When can I expect the bulbs to sprout? Do these bulbs act as annuals or do they flower every year? Do I need to take them out in fall?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azreno(z9 AZ)

I don't know about ranunculus, but freesia naturalize well here. Yours are not likely to bloom this year, being bought and planted late like they were. When you get bulbs late and plant them late, you're really only planting them so they will live for next year- they'll grow foliage in order to rejuvenate their store of energy in the bulbs and if you're lucky you'll get flowers, but mine have already flowered and are setting seed. You should expect to see some leaves popping out of the dirt soon if you're keeping them watered well.

Bulbs are as a rule seasonal. The freesias will die back down after they've stored their energy and pop back up again next year. They flower every year, do leave them in the ground, they may however require the occasional dividing. The do self sow if the seed pods are allowed to develop, seems to me like seedligns would flower in their second year, but would be full size in their third year.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 8:28AM
ww1969

Ranunculus tend to not return/naturalize. You may get a few leaves popping up and possibly a flower, but don't expect them to give a show like the year before. When planting Ranunculus, be sure to position them toes pointing down (plant grows from the flat spot on top); if in doubt as to which side is up, plant sideways. It is also an excellent idea to soak Ranunculus tubers for a few hours in water before planting.

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 8:41AM
mzoorikh_yahoo_com

I leave in California.
Ranunculus bulbs should be planted in well drainable soils, otherwise they would rot easily. They do come back every year and stronger with better flower.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
Lady Banks Roses
I have a south-facing block-wall that will be getting...
plastike
Tree ID - white trunk and
There's a few of these growing along the south side...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™