Phyllostachys heteroclada from seed

assybMarch 19, 2007

Hi, I recently purchased from ebay seeds for Phyllostachys heteroclada. Any special advice on how to plant them. I love bamboo, so this is the first time i'm going to try to grow it.

I'm in zone 7, and I'm going to plant it in containers...

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Put the seeds in the refrigerator (not freezer) for 2 weeks to cold stratify them. Then get a propagation tray that you can put a couple of inches of decent quality potting soil in, moisten the soil, distribute the seeds evenly, cover with no more than 1/4" more of soil. Supply a little bottom heat; keep a dome on or even Saran wrap to hold in the moisture. Add a little water if the planting medium begins to dry out. Hopefully you will get results in about 30 days or less.

I've also had good luck inserting seeds into those compressed peat pellets that you moisten. Treat the pellets to the same conditons described above.

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 1:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waynoedm

Firstly, I am no expert on germinating Bamboo. Nor have I been at it long. But I do have experience.

I find peat pellets and standard potting soil horrible for germinating bamboo or any other seeds that require more than a week for germination. They retain way too much water, and don't allow enough oxygen to the roots. Thus causing them to rot, or have the seedling dampen off if they do eventually germinate.

I have had good luck with regular potting soil for moso but I don't recommend it.

What I do recommend is using about a 10 - 20% coarse sand (not play sand) in potting mix, mixture. I currently have some F. Nitida, and B. Arundinacea that have just recently germinated in this fashion. I think I spotted some taproot activity in a batch of D. Membranaceus today as well.

Another fellow Boohead uses play sand and it works fine for him. I have some P. Heteroclada in 100% coarse sand, and another batch of the sand/potting soil mixture described above. It's too early to tell results, but using methods described above, have only netted me rotten seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Outdoor Exotics

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
Bamboo Resilience
Last spring I picked up a clumping bamboo from a plant...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
What's Wrong With My Bamboo?
Hey all, I'm a brand new member and this is my first...
PacNWbalconyGrower
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
bamboo books?
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books...
mersiepoo
Do Barriers Work?
Hello - I live in Maryland - zone 7 and am about to...
mdbamboo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™