container growing

hbf_46April 24, 2014

Hi I am from phoenix Arizona, and it is starting to get quite hot already. I am very new to container gardening. I would like to grow potatoes in 5 gal. buckets. any special rules to doing so? besides water. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Sweet potatoes? Not gonna work in a five gallon bucket. A much larger container - like a half barrel is OK. The vines grow like crazy so don't expect 'em to stay in any container.

If you're talking about 'Irish' potatoes, it's waaaaaay past the time to plant.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 6:06PM
cold_weather_is_evil(9)

True true true. HOWEVER, this is an opportunity to figure things out. Take one bucket, fill it about 2/3 full of ordinary dirt, and then take one russet potato that's gone to sprout and perhaps is starting to dehydrate on you, and bury it just below the surface. Water and put in the coolest spot you can find.

Do this again in another bucket in another month.

Expect these plants to not do well, but eventually you'll hit on your timing with an investment of three buckets, no purchases of bagged "soil" from the store, and no loss of edible potatoes to use as seed. I thing your luck will start to improve when the weather breaks around mid September, but also think that everything you plant before that time will die a horrible screaming fiery death. Gardening is fun and interesting, no?

One potato a month...

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 11:31PM
cold_weather_is_evil(9)

PS: Potatoes in Summer and in pots (not buried in the cooler ground) is a double whammy.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
'Desert Museum' and 'Sonoran Emerald' Palo Verdes
The last thread on these two trees was about a year...
dlg421
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™