Senecio Anteuphorbium / Swizzle Sticks

Houndhome(Phoenix Az (9b))April 14, 2013

Hi Everyone - Finally took a trip to Bakers today, wow what fun! Anyway, we ran across this succulent and wanted to see if anyone had any experience growing this here in Phoenix. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dstefan

I bought a nice 1 gal at the DBG fall sale. Its growing, in the plastic pot, pretty well on my patio under shade sails. Im waiting to see what it likes before planting it, if ever. In the fall and winter i had it more in the sun, though never full. Just moved it today out of morning sun and back more in the shade as the leaves were getting a bit yellow. I was watering when dry, by my meter, at first, but seems to want and grow better with a bit more water, especially now.
This was from a CA grower, so i suspect will take some adjustment time. At the sale they had a really big one in a 15 gal pot that was spectacular. Ive also seen one in the ground in Laguna Beach that was 3' in diameter and 3 to 4' tall. Thats a pretty moist environment.
I like it a lot. Will have to see how it does this summer. Two issues: it cant take cold well from what ive read. Also, when we had that infestation of the little caterpillars that decmated bouganvillas in the fall, I found one munching this plant quite happily. Im thinking i may keep it as a container plant.
I wouldn't hesitate to try one in a container. Also, i think that Boyce Thompson has one from a picture i saw on line.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 3:28PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Neat! I hope you both send lots of updates on how they do for you long-term. Happy gardening!

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:58PM
dstefan

The DBG has several large specimens in containers in mostly shade. I was told by one of their instructors that these are summer dormant and should not be watered once the night temps and humidity rise.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has gotten one through the summer before.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:45PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Good information, dstefan, thanks for posting it. How is your plant looking so far this summer? Keep us posted, all!

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
Water Softener
I'm going to install a new water softener to replace...
newtoucan
Palo Verde (Desert Museum) - Bends Over like Willow - Pruning?
My son lives west of Phoenix and had a Palo Verde planted...
elaineindy
Desert Botanical Garden Spring Sale
FYI, their Bi-Annual Plant Sale is this weekend... Link...
asudevil311 - zone 9b
Lizards eating tomatoes?
After several failed attempts, I've finally gotten...
kstrittmater
Japanese garden
Converting part of my front yard into a Japanese style...
waterbug_guy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™