Requesting help with ID

rmk3392March 6, 2008

Hello,

I posted on 3/1 regarding a question about bamboo roots. Below is a link to 6 pictures I took of the plant in question...hoping someone can help ID it.

I live in St. Louis, Missouri and acquired this one culm and rootball from a friend who has a very nice running grove but doesn't know the species. I would estimate his grove height to be in the 20 to 30 range. It has been a while since I saw the grove and don't recall the culm diameters but I recall them being pretty thick.

I took this culm home two years ago, planted it in a rather damp/marshy area before I knew any better, and it remained alive without sending up further shoots. If anyone has any ideas about species I would appreciate it. One note is that when I planted it I recall that the main roots had hollow channels in them. Each part of the culm between nodes has a grove along the length, and successive grooves seem to alternate 180 degrees. P. aureosulcata???

Thank for any help!

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: http://cid-ab3c698d4c3b77cb.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

A single-culm transplant may take a year or more before it puts up new shoots.

I don't grow that variety, but it looks like P. aureosulcata
aka Yellow Groove Bamboo.

Kt

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 8:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rfgpitt(z6a Pit PA)

Agree w/ Kentuck on Yellow Groove...

(if the lighter/yellow sulcus or groove didn't give it away)
Slide your fingers up & down the culm and it should feel somewhat like sandpaper (or at least rough) VS a smooth plastic surface. This rough feeling is a characteristic of aureosulcata.

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™