Fencing out Javelina?

outdoor_andy(7)April 9, 2013

I am building some raised garden beds in an area that gets roaming javelina. I am trying to build a fence that will keep them out at the shortest possible height. Electric fencing is not an option. I know they are not big jumpers, so how high do you think I would need to build a fence to keep them out? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

According to AZ Game and Fish either an *electric* fence or a 4' wall.

Here's a link to an article, you'll have to copy and paste to your browser window as it's not an http: address:

Keep javelina wild! - Arizona Game and Fish Department

www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/w_c/.../Javelina_Brochure_12-12-06.pdf

Also, if you Google 'fence out javalina', there's lots of good info. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 8:46AM
GeeS 9b

My home is central to the territory of an extended Javelina family, so we're quite familiar. Javelina can climb a bit, and may be motivated to do so by the smell of sweet garden morsels. I agree wholeheartedly with the post above -- 4'. I also suggest a rather stout fence, as Javelina are quite strong and may test your efforts to what degree they're able. We use wrought iron bolted to concrete.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 11:02AM
Centurion_(Verde Valley AZ Z8)

We moved into our retirement home in Cottonwood a year and a half ago. We have javelina here also. They used to roam the yard at will, and they destroyed my garden the first year we were here.

Last spring I fenced it off with 4' industrial grade chainlink fence and burried the bottom of the fence approximately 4 inches to discourage digging. All posts are set in concrete. Height of the fence ranges from about 3 '6" to 3' 8"..

So far, so good. I've seen tracks up to and along the fence, but none have gotten into the yard.

Gates can be the weak link You will want to bury rocks, a railroad tie, or build a small concrete sill or pad to keep them from digging under at that point.

Have fun. :-)

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 7:56PM
outdoor_andy(7)

Thanks to everyone who replied. That gives me a good idea of what I am up against.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
Dog Eating Hibiscus
Can anyone offer suggestions to keep our 9 month old...
azfran
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™