Pomegranite dropping blossoms/fruit

wft1612April 9, 2009

I have a new 15 gal Wonderful Pomegranite tree planted last fall. It leafed out this spring and is producing many blossoms and young fruit but they are ALL falling off. The largest "fruit" was about 1" diameter before falling off. I currently water it for 40 minutes, every 9 days and it has good drainage. The leaves appear very healthy (green and shiny) and lots of blossoms blooming.

Is it normal for all/most of the blossoms/fruit to fall off? Is the tree too small to produce significant fruit crop? Might I be watering too much or too little?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jolmos(9/Sunset 13/AZ)

it is takes awhile for them to really start producing.(1-2 years). If your leaves are healthy shiny and green, then you are doing things right. Don't forget to factor in the amount of wind we had. If it is timed wrong, or your plant is just in the "right" spot, many of the blossoms may have been blown off.
It may take awhile for them to get a better root system, and thus not as much energy is being put into reproduction.
Happy gardening

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 12:30AM
murmanator

Tell us more about your watering system. Drip? If so, how many emitters and what GPH? Bubblers? Hose? I agree with jolmos but think it is also worth examining your watering schedule further.

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 2:58PM
wft1612

My watering schedule is currently 40 minutes every 9 days. The tree is supplied by a drip irrigation with 3 adjustable drip tips (adjustable 0 - 10 gph each). I estimate that it probably gets 9-12 gallons in each watering cycle. The soils is the typical heavy clay, but there is an irrigation drain pipe nearby so the surrounding area (within 4-5 ft) drains well.

Thanks for any replies/recommendations!

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 8:14AM
jolmos(9/Sunset 13/AZ)

Mine did better with just a "bit" more watering. I use a soaker hose about 1x/7days or so, I think you are doing fine when you do water...don't get me wrong...Poms don't like wet feet. They (and most trees even the desert adapted) just like to be babied a bit for their first year or so in life...

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Does anyone use straw to mulch?
I was going to buy a couple bales of straw to mulch...
captaininsano
Lizards eating tomatoes?
After several failed attempts, I've finally gotten...
kstrittmater
Question Regarding Shade Tree Health
This large shade tree in the side of my yard, is dropping...
colinhanke
Pride of Madeira (Echium candicans)
Hi everyone, I posted a pic under "What looks...
grant_in_arizona
Has anyone got rid of Bermuda Grass without chemicals
Has anyone got rid of Bermuda Grass without chemicals....
newtoucan
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Serena & Lily Blossom Wallpaper
Serena & Lily
Red Vanilla 'Summer Sun' Set of 4 Salad Plates
Overstock.com
Jane Seymour Peonies 13 in. Multicolor Silk Flower Arrangement - JSPP46403N-MI
$220.00 | Hayneedle
Flora Buff Wallpaper R1195, sample
Walls Republic