cute little weed? Or can I keep it? :-)

hotdrysunnyMay 15, 2010

This cute little thing popped up near my aloes and looks kind of intriguing. I've never seen it before and I'm chalking it up to the weird and wet winter we had. Any ideas what it is and whether I should encourage it? From May 8, 2010

I don't know if you can tell from the photo but the flowers are yellow puffballs and the foliage is rather lacy, but sturdy. It's leaning toward the sun so I assume it would be more upright if it were in full sun.

ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judy_b(AZ zone 9)

I think it's tansy, Tanacetum vulgare, and sure, let it grow if you like it. You'll probably find them seeded all over your yard, but if you don't mind - and I wouldn't - enjoy it.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 1:10AM
softmentor(z9/sunset13 CA desert)

I don't know this one nor do I have it, but I do let certain native annuals grow around our place. They can be lovely when we get enough rain. My favorite is desert primrose, wow, what a wonderful fragrance and a beautiful blossom

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 1:20AM
hotdrysunny

@judy - great! anything with "vulgare" as part of its botanical name is welcome in my yard!! :-) I did find a couple more - which I'm glad to see since I've been fighting a ten year battle with prostrate spurge and some icky, prickly things, the more native wildflowers and annuals I can get growing, the better!

@softmentor - I agree, I'll let most of them grow. I'm trying to get some Mexican primrose to take (I know - they take over - but I've got an acre of emptiness to fill) but the bunnies are determined to shear it to the ground!

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 10:01AM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

zzini,

That looks cool, do you have a close-up shot of the blooms?

MM

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 11:44AM
hotdrysunny

@mangledmind - here's a close-up, it's a little fuzzy, but you can see they're just little puffs of yellow. My friend thinks it's an invasive-ish weed so I'll have to keep an eye on it!
From Plants around the homestead

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 12:15AM
judy_b(AZ zone 9)

One person's invasive weed is another's wildflower.:-)

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Water Softener
I'm going to install a new water softener to replace...
newtoucan
NOT in love with my sapote tree
Hi everyone, I'm so NOT in love with my grafted sapote...
grant_in_arizona
Has anyone got rid of Bermuda Grass without chemicals
Has anyone got rid of Bermuda Grass without chemicals....
newtoucan
Which plants they are?
Anyone can help me identify these 3 plants? I have...
lenering
Sponsored Products
Retro Toaster Coin Bank
$17.99 | Dot & Bo
Diamond Plus 3-pc. Set
$249.95 | FRONTGATE
Atlantis Tubs 6060SWL Sublime 60 x 60 x 23 - Inch Corner Whirlpool Jetted Bathtu
Beyond Stores
Traditional Zebra Rug 8'6" x 11'6" - CHOCOLATE
$1,099.00 | Horchow
Lite Source Eveleen Floor Lamp with Tray Table
Lamps Plus
Vegetable Garden Marker - Cauliflower
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™