Possible To Uproot New Shoots ?

jolusianyMarch 19, 2008

Hello,

I know my question does sound very newbish, but I'm trying to learn about bamboo and could really use your help.

Is it possible to dig up the new shoots when they are still about a 1 foot tall and then re-plant and have it contiue its growing into a full size adult bamboo?

Meaning, what I would like to do, is dig up the shoot of an adult shoot that is about 4 inches wide already and replant it.

Would doing this stop it from growing?

Thanks

Lisa S

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

It won't work. You'll kill it. Shoots are highly dependent on energy supplied through the underground rhizome system. If you sever the connection too early, it's like cutting an umbilical cord prematurely. If you want to transplant, you need to dig up an established culm and root ball during the dormant season, which is typically late-fall to early spring.

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 1:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I transplanted some clumps the middle of last month, and yesterday I saw my first new shoot coming up. The clumps I had were dug up with a backhoe, and each clump was at least a cubed foot of earth/root. The larger clumps were over a hundred pounds and had culms of about two inches in diameter.

One clump had a six inch shoot pushing up when I transplanted. That particular shoot is losing some of its green color, so I don't think it will make it. Of course, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Josh

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™