Recommend a variety?

watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)March 15, 2007

I love my basjoos, but I have a windy bed in which I want to feature a banana, and I don't like the shredded leaf look. Can anyone recommend a sturdy leaf that doesn't shred easily in the wind, that gets at least 7 or 8 feet tall? I'm in zone 6/7, so it will have to come in during the winter - I'd like to store dormant in a cool basement.

For a few years I had a red variegated unnamed variety, but it was very prone to mites, kept pupping, and only topped out at about 4 feet, even when planted in the ground outdoors. I let that one freeze this past fall on purpose!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
banana_fun

I am no expert, but many of the dwarf cavendish type have thick leathery leaves that may hold up well in the wind.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 2:25PM
thistle5(z7 VA)

I have a dwarf cavendish that looked very nice last year, right now it's a 3' stalk in a pot in the garage. I hope it will do ok this summer. The musa velutina we had last summer at the nursery looked very good for a long time. The only thing I hate about lg. tropical plantings is the bare spots it leaves in the winter (but then all my zone-appropriate plantings look pretty rough in the winter, too-it's not their fault I don't live in Hawaii).

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 6:44PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

thistle, yes, moving to Hawaii would be a much better option, I completely agree!! I found a very cool variegated red-twig dogwood that I'm going to stick in the bed for a little winter interest, maybe a clump of miscanthus grass too.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
unknown banana
Hello, I got a banana plant and was pretty excited...
sunshine34662
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
banana stopped growing without fruit. should i cut it down?
my second go around of growing dwarf cavendish inside....
johndoug
How big are your zebrinas
On the Going Bananas site it says 6-8 ft but of course...
sfhellwig
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™