How do I control my Borinda fungosa?

echolane(SFBayMidPen)April 16, 2013

About 5-6 years ago, I planted three modest clumps of this bamboo. Now they're beginning to scare me with their spread! The largest clump is now about 4'x4' or more in diameter and threatening to topple the two-high cement block retaining wall it is expanding toward.

What can I do to inhibit/halt the spread of this bamboo? I read somewhere that clumpers are immensely powerful in their expansion and hard to contain. I hope their is a solution besides digging.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I don't think that clumpers are immensely powerful and hard to contain. Admittedly, B. fungosa does seem to spread a little further than most clumpers, but it will stop when it runs up against the retaining wall...unless it's a very poorly built retaining wall. I have a large B. fungosa and it's been planted right next to my house for years. It hasn't done a thing to the foundation and I don't expect it to.

However, if you don't want the clump to get larger in diameter, there is no option but to take out some of the growth.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 2:44AM
echolane(SFBayMidPen)

Thanks for the reply, which is somewhat reassuring with respect to the retaining wall. But I did underestimate the size of the clump which is more like 6'x6'. Which means I really need to control its spread regardless of my worries about the retaining wall.

So do I lop off the culms to the ground until I get the size I want (say 4'x4'), and then dig down just enough to destroy the buds? Or do I need to dig out the roots wherever I've amputated the tops?

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 12:14AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

If you just take out the top growth, it will keep expanding underground. Unless you have a specialized tool like a bamboo spade, the best approach is to cut back all the top growth you don't want so it is out of the way, and then chop down into the ground to sever and remove the roots. This will be somewhat hard and you may need an axe, a pickaxe, and a root pruning saw. A SawzAll with a long blade may help (you will probably go through several blades).

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:38AM
More Discussions
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™