Corm center

jtullousMarch 10, 2008

I have a lare tropical greenhouse with a few varieties of banana growing in a few spots. Over the years the new shoots have expanded out and now there is a large "center" to the corm where old stalks have been cut away. Can I dig out these centers and put soil in to get the new shoots to move back in - there is no more room for them to expand out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fglavin(Knoxville, TN)

Don't see why not. That should work OK. Every mat should get some management after it's been in place for several years.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 7:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nightrider767(San Antonio)

I've been researching the same sort of thing. Here's what I found.

In your case, seems as if you allowed the pups grow up next to the parent plant. Instead of seperating one, you want to seperate them all, and remove the main corm.

That shouldn't be a problem at all. One way to go about it is to remove it from it's bucket, and give it a good spraying down to remove the dirt. Once the dirt is cleared away you'll have a better idea of what you're working with.

Then just seperate the plants with a sharp knife. One note in this process, if a pup plant is very small, and doesn't have it's own root system yet, you will have to cut into the main corm abit. Cut a peace of the main corm when you cut the small plants out and they'll do fine.

Now for the main corm, once it's out you got options. This is something I read about and will try this spring.

Corm division.

What I read is that the main corm will have "eye's" on it like a canna rhyzome. And that I can divide the corm with each piece having an eye and make even more plants.

EIther, good luck and happy gardening!

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
First banana plant
Heh, okay so i was watching my friend remove unwanted...
YouthGarden
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™