Fargesia seed

treeguy_ny USDA z6a WNYApril 14, 2010

Hi All,

There are two clumps of Fargesia flowering near me, I think nitida and possibly murielae. The stamens just started hanging out of the flowers. This is my first experience with bamboo seed. My questions:

1) when do I know the seed is ripe/ready to harvest?

2) are there any special germination tips such as scarification, sowing immediately, cold treatment, etc.?

3) can the seed be stored after collection, how best to store it, and for how long will it remain viable in storage?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foxd(z5b/6a)

1) When the seed falls off when the branches are shaken.
2) Bamboo seed usually loses viability rather quickly, so the seeds should be planted quickly.
3) Storing the seed in your refrigerator can prolong the amount of time it remains viable. But I would recommend distributing and planting quickly.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 11:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan_l(6)

Instead of shaking the branches, you can also gently touch the seeds and if they fall off they're ripe. It's a little more controlled than shaking. You're not trying to pull the seeds off, just knock them off if they're ready.

I had a few nitida seeds that I kept in the fridge over the Winter, and got about 30% germination. I'm not certain how many of the seeds were viable to being with, as some of them were pretty small/thin. The nice fat seeds are the good ones.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
More on Bamboo Flooring - Ouch!
Check out this link - it is rather scathing! http://www.finishing.com/260/96.shtml...
hoosier52
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
Anyone growing Sasa palmata in zone 6A?
I want to screen part of our property and don't want...
mersiepoo
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™