Using vinegar to kill bamboo

grandtrainApril 28, 2011

I brought a house a year ago with a 4' by 10' foot patch of land with Bamboo. As you can guess, that first year was filled with discovery of the invasive nature of the plant. I don't think the previous owner did anything other than pulling out new shoots. I pulled out all the roots I can that exceeded its patch, but a good number is already intertwined with the surrounding bushes.

However, the bamboo creates a spectacular view. I'm thinking about saving a few rhizomes, killing the patch, installing a barrier, and then replanting it. I understand that it'll be years in the future.

So far, my battle plan is as follows:

1. Cut off all shoots and dig out as much rhizomes as I can.

2. Soak the patch area in vinegar. Though, I can't find a place to purchase any of the brand that was recommended yet.

3. Repeat until a year go by without new growth.

Here's my questions:

1. Would the bamboo absorb the vinegar, killing the rhizomes that had grown beyond the patch? I want to avoid applying vinegar outside the area as it is filled with bushes and other plants.

2. There's approximately a 2 feet of soil between the bamboo patch and the bushes. Would the vinegar pose a danger to the bush if apply liberally to the bamboo patch?

3. How long would it takes to make the area plant-able again after applying the vinegar?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Forget the vinegar. I don't know where you heard of this approach; it won't get rid of the bamboo, but it will likely screw up your soil and your other plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Controlling bamboo

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 2:26PM
stevelau1911

This seems like a no-brainer, but couldn't you just dig out the grove?

If it is a phyllostachys species, the rhizomes will be right by the surface, and shouldn't be that hard to dig out. If you pour vinegar on there, that's not going to do anything, but waste $$, acidify the soil, and the ph could end up too low to grow anything else for a while.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 9:09PM
new2zone9a

Will that be a rice vinegar you'll be using? Might I suggest also a splash of soy sauce for those stir fried shoots. mmmmm. Stir fry.

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 12:14AM
bamboozler

The crazy things people think of. If the view is "spectacular" why in God's name would you destroy it and not just maintain the bamboo by either trenching around it or cutting the rhizomes with a shovel annually. Installing a barrier is expensive and labor intensive and will still require maintenance.

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Moso is dying
I have a small Moso grove about 10 to 14yrs old . ...
gardensnail22
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
What's Wrong With My Bamboo?
Hey all, I'm a brand new member and this is my first...
PacNWbalconyGrower
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Sponsored Products
Simplistic Ceiling Fixture
$324.90 | Horchow
Cristallo Pendant by Eurofase
$468.00 | Lumens
Danze Eastham Pressure Balance Valve Trim Kit - Brushed Nickel
Modern Bathroom
Florence Knoll Style Sofa-Dark Grey - Cashmere Wool
IFN Modern
Oxygen Lighting | Lotus Pendant Light
$171.00 | YLighting