Air-Layering Trees

az_pamperedchef(9)May 31, 2012

Has anyone here in AZ ever air-layered a tree? I've been reading up on it on the forum and have found great directions to starting a new tree this way. However, I'm concerned with our very warm weather if this method is successful here during the summer.

Have you tried it and what were your results? I have a fig tree and persimmon tree I'd like to try it on. Both are about 1 1/2 years old, is that too young?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Before I go looking for the info, can you tell us just how this is supposed to work? As for fig trees, about all you need to do is cut off a piece and stick it in soil somewhere. It's one of the easiest trees to propagate that I can think of.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:29AM
haname(z9 AZ NE Phoenix)

I was thinking of doing this with a Hong Kong orchid tree and read up quite a bit on it. I was also concerned about the heat, but read a tip about wrapping the outside of the plastic and moss package with foil. That seemed like a good idea. I decided against it but not because I was afraid it wouldn't work. Please let us know how it goes if you try it.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 7:31PM
az_pamperedchef(9)

Tomatofreak, I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer it. Air-layering is the method of propagating a tree by making a "wound" on the limb, then wrap it with moist sphagnum moss which is then covered with plastic wrap. By keeping the moss moist, roots then develop which after a few months, the limb can be cut off below the roots and transplanting as a tree.

Haname, if I try it I'll post my results here.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 7:57PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Yep, that answered my question. Is it supposed to work with any tree? Regardless, with the heat we have, I think I'd wait till fall. I think sphagnum moss (or anything else) wrapped in plastic and left in this heat would steam - or boil, depending on how much water is in the packet.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
Lady Banks Roses
I have a south-facing block-wall that will be getting...
plastike
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
using hydrogen peroxide
I have long been a user of hydrogen peroxide, in my...
Sagepass
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™