Air-Layering Trees

az_pamperedchef(9)May 31, 2012

Has anyone here in AZ ever air-layered a tree? I've been reading up on it on the forum and have found great directions to starting a new tree this way. However, I'm concerned with our very warm weather if this method is successful here during the summer.

Have you tried it and what were your results? I have a fig tree and persimmon tree I'd like to try it on. Both are about 1 1/2 years old, is that too young?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Before I go looking for the info, can you tell us just how this is supposed to work? As for fig trees, about all you need to do is cut off a piece and stick it in soil somewhere. It's one of the easiest trees to propagate that I can think of.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:29AM
haname(z9 AZ NE Phoenix)

I was thinking of doing this with a Hong Kong orchid tree and read up quite a bit on it. I was also concerned about the heat, but read a tip about wrapping the outside of the plastic and moss package with foil. That seemed like a good idea. I decided against it but not because I was afraid it wouldn't work. Please let us know how it goes if you try it.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 7:31PM
az_pamperedchef(9)

Tomatofreak, I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer it. Air-layering is the method of propagating a tree by making a "wound" on the limb, then wrap it with moist sphagnum moss which is then covered with plastic wrap. By keeping the moss moist, roots then develop which after a few months, the limb can be cut off below the roots and transplanting as a tree.

Haname, if I try it I'll post my results here.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 7:57PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Yep, that answered my question. Is it supposed to work with any tree? Regardless, with the heat we have, I think I'd wait till fall. I think sphagnum moss (or anything else) wrapped in plastic and left in this heat would steam - or boil, depending on how much water is in the packet.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
Sedums anyone?
I love sedums but all mine have died. Most fried in...
newtoucan
Growing Anemones (Windflowers) in pots in AZ
I've never had any luck with windflowers, going back...
rhony2
Desert Botanical Garden Spring Sale
FYI, their Bi-Annual Plant Sale is this weekend... Link...
asudevil311 - zone 9b
Pride of Madeira (Echium candicans)
Hi everyone, I posted a pic under "What looks...
grant_in_arizona
Question Regarding Shade Tree Health
This large shade tree in the side of my yard, is dropping...
colinhanke
Sponsored Products
60" Minka Aire Kola Pewter Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Blue Lara Wool Rug
$199.99 | zulily
Fathom Dining Chairs Set of 2 in Natural
$468.00 | LexMod
Raiden Wall Sconce No. 1180 by Minka-Lavery
$85.90 | Lumens
AeroQuick 77 Gallon Recycled Plastic Compost Bin - AQ 77
$149.99 | Hayneedle