cutting banana stems

jwnesmith(8b/9)March 4, 2010

Well, winter here is almost over or I sure hope it is. I hope we don't have one like this for another 100 years! Once the danger of freeze is over, should I cut the stems back close to the ground or just trim them back to the solid part?

This has been my first wintering of bananas so am still learning. Thanks,

Woods

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

If the pseudostems are soft and mushy, you can cut back to the solid part but sometimes, even that part is damaged and eventually, you wind up cutting back all the way. My winter lows are usually in the mid to upper 20's and most of my banana varieties are cold hardy enough to make it through and I simply trim them up and try to expose the top most part of the pseudostem to sunlight. But this year was different and the jury is still out and I might have to whack most of them down to the ground.

Steve

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 4:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bamatufa(7 - Trussville, AL)

I am in my third year with only one plant but first year with the 5-6 I added last spring. I left my stems or plants as is for the first time this winter. The advice I was given was to cut them down to stump size or close to the ground once the main threat of cold was over. They will start growing once the warm daytime temps kick in. Just cover and protect during the cold snaps we will continue to have until spring sets in.

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
Banana tree not doing well
I have a big banana tree that has been thriving until...
sibbell
Prepping the soil for banana plants
Hello, I have a nice space for about 2-3 dwarf Apple...
figsinhawaii
Banana Palm uprooted in winds!
How can I save it???
Green4les
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™