Best Bamboo for this application

amishbobApril 15, 2013

My neighbor plans to cut down all the trees between our property. Originally, I had Black Bamboo planted here but it was receiving too much shade. The black bamboo is now growing healthy in the sun on the other side of my property.

So now I'm going to have a new opportunity for planting. This area should receive mid morning to afternoon sun in Pittsburgh (Zone 6). This area will be somewhat protected from cold winter wind as my shade is blocking the wind flowing between the void area of the two houses.

Now, here is the issue. The available space is around 4.5 foot wide and 25+ long. I will have to use a rhisome barrier rather than a trench. due to the close proximity of the grove to my neighbors fence.

What bamboo would be appropriate for this conditions? I want to screen out my neighbor's yard as much as possible and my vertical form can be unlimited.

Is this enough room for timber bamboo? Will timber bamboo though not fulfill my screening requirement? Or should I just split my black bamboo and planted it in two locations. I kind of want to try something new but free plants sound pretty good.

Thanks for your help.

This post was edited by amishbob on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 12:19

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Bamboo will work fine for screening with the planting area dimensions you describe. My neighbor has a mixed planting of alternating Black bamboo and Ph. aureosulcata "Aureocaulis," and the contrast between the black and the orangey-yellow culms is quite nice. They are in a space that is long and even narrower than yours and provide quite a bit of screening.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 2:45AM
amishbob

thanks and sorry for my late response.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:12AM
jonjfarr

I always recommend Fargesia for cold climates. It's a clumper so you don't need rhizome barriers.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™