Can you ID this nanner?

miamimax(z 10-11 FL)March 22, 2007

I found this little gem about 6 months ago. It is colored EXACTLY like a Zebrina or Sumatrana- red pseudostem, red petioles, red variegated 'blood spots' on all the leaves-both the new ones and also retaining them on the older leaves, red undersides as well. At first glance I thought it was one of these types. Then I noticed that it was flowering- at a height of about 2' tall! It is an erect flower EXACTLY like Musa Ornata 'Purple Royale'. The raceme is dark purple, the little bananas are dark purple and the flower bract is dark purple-and absolutely a fully erect ornamental type. You can partially see the flower on the right hand side on the older stalk. All the Ornatas Ive seen and grown before have never had this red coloration in the plant. Anyone know what this is? It drives me crazy not to be able to ID my plants.....

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

Aint there a Musa "Bordelon" or something in that nature that has an upright flower and red splotches on the leaves. But that variety is no dwarf though and I don't think it has purple fruits. You got a very nice looking plant there, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it at that height. I hope other folks here might be familiar with it. You may just have a very unique hybrid. I love your bananas except for the very tiny pics. hehe =)

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 2:04AM
More Discussions
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Banana tree has fruit on it. Now What?
Hey, when do I know it's time to cut the stalk of fruit...
elbeardo
Banana Question...
I bought a dwarf cavendish banana about 2 years ago,...
Dani74
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™