Safe to transplant?

rgleavesApril 17, 2008

I'm near Nashville, TN. There is a funeral home that has been overrun with bamboo (sorry I don't know the type) and they told me I could have as much as I wanted. I drove by yesterday 4/16 for a peek and the grove is shooting up culms all over the place like mad, some as large a .5 in. My question is: If I dug up several older large sections with multiple culms and transplanted it to my yard soon would it survive or do I need to wait till fall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

If you can wait until the bamboo is more dormant (after September), it would be better. However, I have been known to ignore this advice, dig bamboo this time of year, and have it survive. New shoots may well die, and you may have some of the bamboo divisions fail as well. So make sure you: 1) dig as big of rootballs as you can, 2) dig more than you need in case you have some divisions that are goners, 3) douse the rootballs with water before you transport, 4) protect the foliage from the wind as you drive, and 5) have your transplant holes ready so the rootballs can get back in the ground ASAP. If you've never dug bamboo, email me and I'll send you instructions that will make this project easier.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™