Is there a thin clumping bamboo?

Gardener972(7b-8a DFW)April 28, 2010

I want a clumping bamboo that is short(er), will tolerate shade and is thin so that a person can see through it. Would a person plant several plants in an area of about 20 sq. ft. or let one plant continue to grow? Can the plant in the pot be divided upon purchase?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

Bambusas have a tendency to grow thinner when grown in a shady area. You may have to remove some of the culms to get the 'see-through' look that you want with any bamboo.

I personally would put several plants in that area, but you are in an area where they(Bambusas) are borderline cold hardy. I'm not sure of a clumper that fits your area and needs without some care.

How tall would you like the boo to grow??

If a plant is large enough at the time of purchase, you can divide it. I've bought some bamboo in a pot before and got up to 4 divisions out of a single pot. Depends on size.

Kt

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 9:47PM
Gardener972(7b-8a DFW)

I think around 4-6 feet would be good. That's what I was wondering, if it could be divided. Do you get yours in a nursery or do you have to order it on-line? Can you suggest a reputable place that sells the CORRECT one as stated?

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 12:08PM
kentuck_8b(__)

There are a lot of reputable online bamboo nurseries out there. I have ordered from 4 or 5 of them and all sold excellent plants.

Buying from Home Depot or a similar place may get you a mis-labeled plant. Best to go with a 'bamboo' nursery.

There are some short Bambusas and one that grows to about six feet, but even if you have a taller plant, you can top it to the height that you desire.

Kt

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™