Low Litter tree

calb_gardnerMay 21, 2013

I just removed a 20+ foot Mesquite from beside my pond area due to the amount of litter the tree was dumping. In my yard I already have two Sonoran Emeralds a Foothills Palo Verdi ,Texas Ebony ,sissoo or Indian Rosewood , Desert Willow , Sweet Acacia ,also Chinese pistash and a tipu tree. I would like your opinion on the last two ,the ones in my yard are not quite big enough to give me an idea of how much litter they will dump. I am also considering a Live oak or Evergreen Elm.. But in the book Landscape plants for the Arizona desert, They consider These to be "seasonal litter" the same as the huge Mesquite tree I just removed And I do not want to be cleaning that area for six months of the year again! I would appreciate your input and any other suggestions that you may have. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

By "pond", I assume you don't mean swimming pool? Either way, I can't comment on the two trees you mention, but I also can't think of a tree - other than a silk tree - that doesn't have something dropping at one time or another. If it's shade you want, but want to avoid tree litter, maybe consider a shade sail?

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 1:38AM
calb_gardner

Hello tomatofreak
Yes I mean Pond, I already have" sails" (Just painters canvas seen together strung across wire) Under the Pergola. I love them although I would like to find something green for the pond area. I know there will be no such thing as a tree with no litter, But that Mesquite... In that location... was ridiculous! I was hoping somebody would have some experience with the last four trees, To be able to inform me on just how much seasonal litter I would be looking at. Like tipu drops it's flowers and then seedpods but this last one month
I will try to include a picture of my sails

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 11:55AM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

calb_, I could not find a reference to the tipu tree in my copy of this booklet, linked below, but there are many listed that say 'low litter'.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 2:00PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Yeah, like your shade 'sail'; we covered our pergola and patio with coolaroo. I like that stuff. I need another sail for an area where we took down a ridiculous euc.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 4:07PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Very cool! To me the lowest litter tree around is Texas Mountain Laurel (not Texas Ebony which I also grow and love, but it does drop a lot of big beans and tiny leaflets). Chinese/evergreen elms drop a TON of leaves, I would definitely not consider them low, or even moderate, litter trees. Let us know what you pick, and how it works out. Love those shade sails! Keep the posts coming, happy gardening!

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Which plants they are?
Anyone can help me identify these 3 plants? I have...
lenering
Lizards eating tomatoes?
After several failed attempts, I've finally gotten...
kstrittmater
Bursera microphylla ("elephant tree") experience?
Hi everyone, as usual, I looked before I lept at the...
grant_in_arizona
Mandevilla
Will mandevilla grow in Yuma? Part shade, sun
cruzer46
Sponsored Products
Birch Tree Pillow Cover
| Dot & Bo
Time is Golden Art Print
$42.99 | Dot & Bo
Snowman Ornament
$5.99 | zulily
Rose Tree Plaza Euro Sham (Set of 2)