How cool is this

calb_gardnerMay 25, 2013

We had so a few pollinating insects I let them make their home wherever they like

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Dirt-daubers? Doesn't look quite like a wasp nest. Btw, good for you; most people are so bug-a-phobic, they'd kill them. ;O)

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 4:05PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Hah, so neat! I would have thought it was a wasp nest. Either way, like you, I'd totally welcome them. I really like wasps and bees etc., and have virtually no fear of them, although I do have a healthy respect. They're gardeners friends for sure. Thanks for posting the pic. Keep us posted! Happy gardening!

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 5:57PM
lazy_gardens

Paper wasps?

they don't pollinate, but they do eat caterpillars.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 4:46PM
calb_gardner

I don't know what they were they have long skinny yellow bodies. And they do sting I found that out the hard way. Eating caterpillars is good

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 11:28PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Yep, that is a wasp nest. Most likely paper wasps. If you find leaves in your yard with surgically cleancut holes, it's certain that they are. I'm like Grant; I live and let live as long as they don't pose a danger - as they would by building a nest in a porch light where you may need to change a bulb. If I need to reach into a plant and can't see if there's a nest there, I spray the area with a forceful stream of water. If the wasps fly out, I know there's a nest there. If you need to remove the nest, flood the area with water; wet wasps can't fly and fall to the ground. You can remove the nest and hope that they move on to another site to rebuild. No need for killer sprays.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good info on bees and wasps

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Tree ID - white trunk and
There's a few of these growing along the south side...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
Gardenia help needed
I have bought a potted gardenia plant from Home Depot...
moutia_k
drumstick tree
I was reading old posts and this tree sounds great. I...
calb_gardner
Mandevilla
Will mandevilla grow in Yuma? Part shade, sun
cruzer46
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™