Planting papilio in coconut husk only?

berkeleysgr8(8B)April 24, 2012

This past winter was my first as a papilio parent. I left one of my bulbs out on a covered front porch for the winter and I brought the other bulb inside. I wanted to see which fared better. When I was gardening this past weekend, I decided to take a closer look at the bulb that had stayed outside. It had 3 or 4 leaves that had stayed green all winter, though the leaves looked a little beaten up. When I gave the bulb a squeeze to ensure that it was still firm, I discovered it was mushy. Based on other posts I've read here, I think what I was seeing was evidence that it had partially froze this winter. Poor thing lost between 1/3 and 1/2 of it's size! I've cleaned off all the mushy bits and planted that bulb in Hydroton, in a "semi-hydro" set up. It's now growing under T5 lights indoors. I was surprised to discover how much moisture the potting mix was holding, despite being about 50% perlite, for drainage. I now want to repot my other papilio into a better medium. I'm wondering if anyone has tried growing them in coconut husk chunks (the ones I have are referred to as "coco croutons", and the chunks are the size of large salad croutons)? I have had good luck growing Cymbidium orchids in this medium. It holds a good amount of water, but also allows excellent air flow around the roots. Any thoughts about attempting to grow papilio in this medium?

-Tina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Pat in Houston has his growing on boards with moss and also in a coco-lined basket. Bet he could give you some tips!
K

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
RED BLOTCH?
I noticed the other day that a new amaryllis bulb that...
chris_p1
Friday night....star and group photos
Well, we aren't the only one who likes H. Night Star...group...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Brecks 'Hardy Amaryllis Collection'
Please tell me if there is, in fact a Amaryllis that...
carmen_grower_2007
My new addition ... Voodoo
Can someone please tell me about voodoo? Is it a good...
jessiann63
I'm new to this forum... Hello!
My name is Allison and I'm a college student in NJ....
amaryllisgirl123 (zone 7 NJ USA)
Sponsored Products
Eclipse Custom Bathroom Pedestal Vanity - Chivalry Blue Vetrazzo
Modern Bathroom
Fine Art Lamps Winter Palace 300350ST Wall Sconce
LuxeDecor
Vondom | Moma Low Table Matte Finish
YLiving.com
Lil Big Wonder Accent Lamp by Tech Lighting
$74.40 | Lumens
Japanese Tree Hand-painted 4-piece Art
Overstock.com