My basjoo experiment
Last year after reading about digging deeper holes for basjoo, I decided to do it especially since I had pups coming out the wazoo...most of them about three feet tall
As always I keep one plant in my classroom as insurance and winter greenery for the kids. Then I left an old one planted just below ground level alone and covered with a garbage bag full of sawdust and planer shavings. A second one planted over two feet deep was really large so I cut it down to about three feet, put a terra cotta chimney square over it, filled it with leaves and inverted a trash can over it.
A third one was also planedt over two feet deep, cut to about a foot, and covered with chicken wire and plastic over it.
A fourth was planted at a foot deep, cut back to about a foot and half tall and covered with a large nursery filled with leaves and inverted with a rock on top.
Guess what... Here in cold WV with our freezing ,thawing, snowy, wet winter... All are alive and growing!!!
This year I'm going to plant some more pups really deep too and maybe not even protect a couple just to see what they do.