Tomato cuttings

ernie85017May 21, 2012

Since I am new to tomatoes and enjoying experimenting, I have some suckers rooting. What a great way to never buy seeds or plants again!

Is there a negative to rooting cuttings from successive plants year after year?

Those of you who do root, is this for Fall plants and overwintering? I am wondering how fast I can expect them to grow and what to do with them during the hot hot weather. Which, evidently, is here - in May.

Someone here (sorry your name has slipped my memory) told me that my broken plant would have a sucker take over. It surely did. While it grew the rest of the plant grew stocky and strong. The flowers on the new growth are bigger than any I have seen so far.

The killer heat yesterday took the same plant by surprise, or I should say the gardener, who had to be away for several hours. It drooped on the top. I watered asap and this morning that part looks wilted. Do I have to wait for another sucker to take over? aaaaaah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Keep them in afternoon shade and they will take off when the weather cools off in September and give fruit until they die of frost.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 8:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plstqd(9)

I have two tomato plants that I started from cuttings back in February or so. They are thriving as far as plant growth, but only one of them (the Celebrity -- the other is a Champion) is fruiting. I'm nonetheless very pleased with their progress; they are much healthier than the parent plants, and the Celebrity at least looks like it will give plenty of fruit. It's a fun experiment, and free to boot!

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
Do you like your synthetic lawn?
This is sort of a spin-off from my thread on how to...
juju222
Pioneersands just lost a customer. (Bulk soil/manure/mulch)
I've been buying bulk soil(sandy loam), manure, and...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™