Arundinaria gigantea bamboo planting and care in MI

fernandovidalApril 19, 2008

Hello pros, I am a complete novice when it comes to gardening and recently purchased 6 bamboo rhizomes of the Arundinaria gigantea variety. I live in southeastern Michigan which can have fairly severe winters (zone 4 I think). I heard these are good for forming a hedge, so I've planted them about 6 feet apart about 5 inches deep in regular soil, patted firmly, and watered a lot. Beyond that, any advice from a bamboo expert? Watering regimen? Mulch? Miracle Grow? Peat moss? I checked with some alleged experts in a gardening store and they knew nothing about how to make bamboo flourish, so if there is someone with some sage advice on this lovely plant, I would be truly grateful! Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chills71(Zone 6b Mi)

SouthEast Michigan is at worst zone 5. I'm in Southeast Mi and I'm firmly in zone 6 (many winters are zone 7)

I'd water, mulch and then wait. If you've already done that then just wiat to see what happens.

I didn't have great luck growing boo from rhizomes, I finally bought plants. If you're looking for a local vendor, let me know.

~Chills

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 3:37PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

fernando-
It sounds like you're doing the right things. However, the previous poster is correct that it can be hard to grow from rhizome. I've been growing various species of bamboo for quite a few years and my success growing from fresh rhizome, carefully selected, ranges from 0-50%. Also bear in mind that, even if you are successful growing from rhizome, it will be at least 5 years before the bamboo gets as tall as you. That's why you might want to consider starting with actual plants.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 4:14PM
fernandovidal

Well thank you both for the advice-- I guess I should have purchased plants rather than the rhizomes. I don't know where these fairy tales come from that proclaim bamboo just sprouting up into a forest overnight. Looks like it will be quite a few years before they'll be filming a sequel to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in my backyard... thanks again!

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 9:04AM
littlejo28602(nc)

We grow Arundinaria gigantea and sell the rhizomes. We transplant them each yr and they do grow very well here.In fact, they grow better than the actual plant.The ones we planted this spring ( april) are already over 10 feet tall.Our business sells these and we have never had a complaint that they didnt grow.We have had to replace the plants that died before they grew but never had to replace the rhizomes.They are hardier than most people think.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
Do Barriers Work?
Hello - I live in Maryland - zone 7 and am about to...
mdbamboo
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™