How to grow bamboo from seed?

lindakay(zone 5)April 17, 2006

I got some bamboo seeds from e-bay and now I wonder if anybody has ever grown them from seed and how did they do it. Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lkz5ia

Bamboo is easy from seed if the seed is fresh enough. But be prepared to lose alot of the weak ones. The strong shall inherit the earth.

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 9:42PM
destowers

Linda,

We recently bought a lot of P. aurea and P. pubescens seed.
I soaked them for 2 days in water, then planted 1 each in a #7 peat pot filled with Miracle Grow Garden Soil for Trees and Shrubs. I planted them by spearing them right down into the center of the pot, until the tip was just barely covered with soil. I watered them well, and set the peat pots in a plastic container, to which I added water each day to keep about 1 inch of water on the peat pots. I put them in our plant shed, where we have flourescent grow lights on a timer (12 on/12 off) and a radiator heater, to keep the shed at about 85 degrees F.

After about a week and a half, they started to sprout, every day a few more, and I now have about 120 out of 160 seeds planted. But let me give you a sad warning - if you are planting more than one kind, label them, lol.

I doubt if all the stuff I did was necessary, but we already had the lights and heat on in the shed, because we overwinter our large plants there.

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 5:24PM
karateka

Hi, I came across the same question. I bought 300 Bamboo seeds on eBay. Now I do not know what to do with it. What is #7 peat pot? What is the dimention of the pot?

Bookmark   February 2, 2007 at 2:59PM
webgator(9 FL)

I made some very easy to follow directions and pics and put them on my website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Seed Germination

Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Bamboo Resilience
Last spring I picked up a clumping bamboo from a plant...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
What's Wrong With My Bamboo?
Hey all, I'm a brand new member and this is my first...
PacNWbalconyGrower
home terrasse
need help for my home terrasse
linabichebl
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™