Experience with these sellers?

akebono(6/7)April 17, 2007

I'm looking to purchase some bamboo from both Midatlantic Bamboo and Burt Associates, and would love to hear your experiences with them before I click "purchase." Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I haven't purchased from either, although I have heard of them. I think they're both reputable, but somewhat overpriced, particularly Burt Associates. For comparison purposes, take a look at this vendor (one I've bought from many times):
www.bambu-u.com

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 12:24PM
mshaffer(z7 Fairfax,VA)

I have bought two plants from MAB. They arrived quickly and in great condition. The only problem was the Moso doesn't survive the winters here, it had complete topkill. If you're buying Moso I suggest "Hortus" on ebay, his are more cold hardy. I also bought a Vivax Aureocaulis from MAB and it's doing fine so far. I would definitely buy from them again, but I would make SURE what I buy there will work in my zone.

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 3:11PM
lelanddunne(7a N.C.)

i haven't bought from either one, have you tryed ? http://www.lewisbamboo.com/ i bought a grey henon from them and ive had good luck from it..

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 3:11PM
bambooo(6 CT USA)

I have dealt with both, both are reputable.
One caveat, be sure the plants you select are appropriate for your growing zone.
I personally push my hardyness zone and as a result lose a few specimens which I can't in good conscience hold the vendor responsable for. You can push the zones if you get a couple mild winters to establish a rhizome mass-but the 1st year is very risky.

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 6:27PM
sara41

Over a period of three years I have purchased six bamboo plants from Bert Associates, four by way of mail order. All but one arrived looking vagarious and healthy. The one that did not look good soon died. I emailed him and he replaced it free.

I would recommend him.

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 7:16PM
sara41

If you need an interpreter for that post above, read "vigorous" for vagariousÂ.

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 8:47PM
bill_ut

I've purchased from Horseshoe Nursery for cold hardy varieties - great plants and reasonable prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horseshoe Nursery

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 1:13AM
va_highlander(6b)

I ordered a Phyllostachis nigra from MidAtlantic Bamboo about a year ago. The plant arrived promptly, in excellent condition, and has proved very vigorous. There would be no hesitation purchasing from them again and I probably will in the near future.

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 8:10AM
More Discussions
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
Bamboo Resilience
Last spring I picked up a clumping bamboo from a plant...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™