Black Diamond Watermelon - One month later

mangledmind(AZ 9B)May 27, 2010

Black Diamond - One month after transplant

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mister_gin(z9 AZ)

Looking really good. It looks like you are having way better luck than I did with them. I just ripped mine out as they weren't doing very good. I usually have good luck with watermelon but tried something different this year and had a disaster.

Oh well! at least me Desert King watermelon plants are doing okay. They're the last pics in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: May 27th garden pics

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 3:04PM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

mister_gin,

Nice pics. As always you seem to be months ahead of our garden LOL

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 3:33PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Nice pics both of you--thanks for sharing them. So far I'm not in love with my 'Tigger' melons (they're not watermelons), but I haven't given up!

Mangled, I hope you were able to harvest those onions (leeks? garlic?) before the watermelon took over, LOL. It looks really great.

Thanks to both of you for the update, it's really fun to see who is growing what (and when).

Continued success!
Grant

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 7:05PM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

Hey grant,

thank you. We did harvest most of the shallots and sweet onions. They were quite small, think pearl onions. I managed to transplant some of the onions and shallots after lopping off the tops. They seem to be coming back with some signs of growth showing, but not sure if they'll make it thru the blistering heatwave coming.

The Black Diamond has babies all over it, some of the pics show a few of them :)

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 9:05AM
az_pamperedchef(9)

I'm jealous of you both! My two watermelon plants, Sugar Baby & some just labeled "watermelon" are not anywhere as big as those you two have. My watermelon does have some flowers on it, but not really opened yet. Keep up the good work!

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 8:01PM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

az_pamperedchef,

Our secret: LOVE ;)

We are experimenting in different boxes with different soil mixes. This box is a 50/50 of Amend soil and Kellog potting soil brands.

[Kellogg All Natural Outdoor Potting Soil: chicken manure, kelp meal and worm castings]

The shallots didn't really like the mix (too moist), the sweet onions loved it.

We have several other watermelon and cantaloupe planted in different mix boxes (straight GroWell Organics soil mix) and they aren't doing as well as this Black Diamond.

So, as soon as these straight boxes are done this season, we are going to split them to a 50/25/25 and see how that works out.

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 8:48PM
sg1985

I have trellised sugar babies, black diamond, dixie queen, and golden watermelon. My mom planted it one year and the watermelon took over our entire yard so I decided to plant some. I put a tour of my garden on youtube check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YmONwhc-O8

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 9:54PM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

sg1985,

those trellis look great, good idea. May we heist the idea for our raised beds :)

gotta keep the HOA folks at bay in the front yard ...

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 9:46AM
az_pamperedchef(9)

Mangled-

You're too funny! Maybe I need to get out and serenade my watermelon plants, perhaps some fresh cut flowers also?

Oh, you mean express my love by the soil mix I use? I get so easily confused. :-)

You think it's too late to put out some more Sugar Baby transplants? I was out at Baker's Nursery today and they had some for sale and I couldn't resist.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 11:19PM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

az pamperedchef,

;) put LOVE in your soil ...

Those transplants should make it. Make sure you mulch an inch or three around them.

I'll take some pics in the morning, this thing is out to our walkway now and the babies are about the size of lemons.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 12:30AM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

3 of the largest babies (a roll of strechtie added for size perspective)

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 8:48AM
az_pamperedchef(9)

Nice! I was just out mulching this morning, plus putting in some more watermelon in the ground. I'm a glutton for punishment! I'll keep you posted and you keep me posted on your progress.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 12:58PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Looking good! Yup, I'm jealous, but happy for you. Keep us posted as they grow and swell. I don't know about anyone else, but I sure love the look of watermelon foliage too--very ornamental and delicate.

Keep the udpates coming!
Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
growing chilitepin pepper bush
I would like to grow a bush of chili tepin peppers....
carolssis
Mary, silvery fir tree
I think I got a silvery fir tree tomato from you last...
ernie85017, zn 9, phx
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Does anyone use straw to mulch?
I was going to buy a couple bales of straw to mulch...
captaininsano
Tree ID - white trunk and
There's a few of these growing along the south side...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™