who ate my mesquite?

xoxosMay 15, 2012

i had a beautiful yearling mesquite that i deigned to plant Outside The Fence. the next day i found it cut through the trunk evenly about 2" from the ground.

i'm in a fairly unique circumstance as i have stalkers who have damaged my property for several years and so forth. they have spray painted my house and pulled plants out of the ground before. when one is harassed over duration the key is to not attribute everything that goes wrong to your stalkers, or they start to gain power exponentially.

we do have javelinas here, and i've seen them eat some things, but.. a mesquite branch? trunk was about 3/8" thick.

the cut was quite even so it would either have been a tool or a wide tooth. there are no deer or anything larger than the javelinas here.

does anyone have some insight into javelina diet that can verify this for me? thank you :/

then, i will have to do all of my planting at night.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Do you have pictures of the damaged trunk?

It sounds like pruning loppers, not javelina. They do a lot of rooting and gnawing on things, but they aren't tidy.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 4:15PM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

Yeah.... I'd kind of expect to be able to see other things around there - hoof prints, other trampled plants, maybe some droppings or something? And a clean break is kinda strange.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 11:33PM
tracydr(9b)

Goats?

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 11:38PM
xoxos

whoever cut it went back and cut it again. now i doubt it was foraging because i cannot imagine many creatures craving 1 1/2" of mesquite branch.

the first cut was horizontal, and quite perfect in that there were no tears in the bark. this cut is incised, but the direction to me looks as if it was cut with a single edged implement, eg. a pocket knife, as if they had to make the cut in steps. i surmise that if it were an animal, tooth mark grooves would run in the direction of the cut.

javelinas do frequent the area, and i've seen more succulent stems broken with a more chewed appearance, so at this point i think i will conclude it is a human varmint (which allows me to plant again pending i can dissuade the sociopaths).

>> Goats?
lol, could be. my stalkers are freemasons. i do realise anyone who's watched much t.v. is recalling their favourite comedians with a piece of tinfoil molded over their skull at this point.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 5:27PM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

Idgits. Maybe some jumping cholla next time....

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 11:15PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

I think I'd plant inside my fence from now on. I have a first class idiot across the street from me and I'd never in a million years give him access to anything important to me.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
Lawn renovation/reseeding - Phoenix AZ
Thank you everybody for a wonderful forum. I am a new...
adi_az_gw
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Austin roses for the desert?
I am California but your climate is closer to your...
Pete
what do you know about wisteria here in Phx area?
I LOVE IT! can I grow it. I'm willing to work at it...
ashley_whiting
Rubber plant
I would like to transplant my rubber plant from a pot...
jnine
Sponsored Products
Cylinda Coffee Press - Stelton
$275.00 | HORNE
Set of Six Cabbage Leaf Easter Placemats
Grandin Road
Porcelain Arcadian Stamp
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Antigua Low Profile Bed - ADL3308
Hayneedle
Petunia Flower and Bee Box - MULTI COLORS
$275.00 | Horchow