Musa Apple Manzano Banana

Randy31513(Georgia 8b)April 5, 2012

Anybody have any experience or tasting notes on this banana? I got it when I ordered the Ice cream banana.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

Excellent tasting banana, Some people dont like it because they try it before it really gets ripe. Just wait a few days after it looks ripe before you eat it. It has a hint of tartness thus the apple flavor. For me a much more reliable producer than Ice Cream.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 5:26AM
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

Thanks, just what I was looking for in an answer to my question. I found a couple of over references to waiting till they are ripe. What color are they when fully ripe? Is the texture firm?

Thanks

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:19AM
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

When you think they are ripe compared to a regular store bought banana wait a few days. I wait for them to start falling off the stalk almost if you want them sweet.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 3:16PM
dangermouse01

When we were down in South Florida a few weekends back, we stopped at the Redland Market Village on our way back to look at the produce. Some of the vendors had apple bananas for sale. I picked up some to try because I have them growing in my yard but have not got any fruit from them yet. The girlfriend and I both tried them when we got home later. The GF really liked them as they were, I thought they were ok (ripe like store bought bananas). I knew they needed to sit on the counter for a few more days for best taste. Had the rest about 4 days later, much, much better.
Like rednofl says "falling off the stalk".
The GF liked them so much, that I tell her I have a Raja Puri putting out fruit and that the Grand Nain is getting ready to flower, her reply is "I want the apple bananas".
DM

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 3:07PM
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

Thanks for the replies. Now I just have to wait two years. :)

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:02AM
brandon1971

We tried Mysore bananas in homestead and were shocked at the flavor. I bought that plant that day.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
Banana tree has fruit on it. Now What?
Hey, when do I know it's time to cut the stalk of fruit...
elbeardo
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
How big are your zebrinas
On the Going Bananas site it says 6-8 ft but of course...
sfhellwig
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™