Ideas for porch

lescont(7)May 11, 2013

Hi I live in Morenci, AZ and would like to put some plants on my porch. The porch is northeast facing and has an awning above it get great direct morning and early afternoon sun but then shaded the rest of the day. I'm looking for ideas of things I can grow in pots outside on the porch that don't need a lot of sun but can still handle the heat as it does still get into the 100-110 in summer, but is more humid than phoenix. I love foliage plants or plants with a few flowers but no cactus. thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GeeS 9b

Asparagus densiflorus and A. meyeri are both really good choices for AZ. I'm in the VOTS, and they're fine with the heat.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 6:33PM
lazy_gardens

You can also grow herbs ... basil, oregano and mint.

And house plants ... Ficus benjamani, sanseveria and others like morning sun. Put them at the back where they get the least amount of sun.

it's harder to keep the plants well-watered, so mulch them with pebbles and place the actual pot into a slightly larger pot for some protection against cooking the roots.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:35AM
lescont(7)

Thanks for the replies.... I did try to grow herbs last year from seeds but never got more that a few sprouts which wilted and died shortly after spouting. I don't think they were under watered maybe over watered? don't know but it happened with every herb I tried to grow only my tomatoes grew.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 10:02AM
crista(Sunset 13)

Sometimes seedlings here wilt and die because of the low humidity. If you get clear 2 ltr soda bottles and cut off the bottom you can put the tops over the seedlings to help increase humidity and get them through that early stage when they tend to die.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 1:04PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

I'll add my vote for asparagus ferns too. I have great luck with them in full sun, partial sun, and full shade, plus they have little starchy nodules along their roots that help them store water. They add a nice fresh green which is always welcomed. Mine have proven immune to the heat here in the Valley of the Sun, and even with our wicked freeze in January they look totally fine, without any protection at all. You've got several other nice suggestions too, so let us know what you do and how it works out. Happy gardening! Grant

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
Pioneersands just lost a customer. (Bulk soil/manure/mulch)
I've been buying bulk soil(sandy loam), manure, and...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™