Not Tosca, but what is it?

hippiezep(11)April 24, 2011

I bought this from Royal Colours in Netherlands as Tosca. In their catalogue at that time (about 18 months ago) Tosca was pictured looking like this. However, in their recent catalogue, Tosca is completely different, with a mix of pale colours. So the one I bought is evidently not Tosca, but what is it? It has very dark flowers with a shiny sheen, and the pedicels and ovaries are completely green.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I had the same thing happen to me last year and Paul from RC identified it as "Bonfire". You might send him a photo to confirm.
Kristi

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 9:43AM
hippiezep(11)

Can't find any references to bonfire on the Internet. I contacted RC and they said that the supplier accidentally included this with the Tosca batch, and it is an as yet unnamed new variety. Looks very much like the description of Royal Velvet on Emaryllis.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 8:30PM
joshy46013

I think the blooms look too small to be 'Royal Velvet', more along the lines of 'Rapido'.

I sadly got 'Rozetta' instead of 'Blossom Peacock' and 'Limona' instead of 'Lemon Lime'. Those are the two things I was most looking forward to!

What ever the case, they're all beautiful :)

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 8:39PM

Here's the reply I got from Paul at RC last year as well as photos of my blooms. You decide. K

Hello Kristi

I just received an answer from my supplier. He confimed to me that there were a few mislabeled bulbs in the Tosca stock he delivered to me and you had very bad luck that you got 2 out 2 mislabeled ones.
The mislabeled Tosca can you label as "Bonfire"

Regards,
Paul

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 9:48PM
hippiezep(11)

Thanks - this looks very much like it, including the fact that the tepals don't fully meet at the base (as with Royal velvet). I notice he said "you can label it bonfire." I wonder if that is a suggestion for the name for the new variety which has not yet been confirmed, hence the lack of Internet reference.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 10:24PM

Paul knows I like to ID all my bulbs. He is an authority with one of the top distributors...I'll take his word on this....mine is labeled as Bonfire. I don't have time/uae for no-ID bulbs.
Kristi

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 8:37AM
hippiezep(11)

Bonfire sounds good! Here are some more pics:

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 9:13AM

Yep...very pretty. If Paul had told me it was "Spotted Dog" I would trust him! :-) LOL!!
K

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Worsleya seeds
If anyone is interested, someone is offering worsleya...
rredbbeard
Basil Plate Propagation
Hi, My friend- Nongnuch Nakmanoch did basil plate propagation...
Nititii P.
May Wonder
This is another Komoriya bulb that flowers for me every...
jstropic
What will it be
The game has started,another two weeks and I will have...
brigarif Khan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™