Will it grow here?

tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)May 7, 2012

A common question often not well-answered by reputable nurseries, much less the big box stores. Plants with labels usually only have the USDA cold-tolerance information. And while we have frosts that kill now and then, the most important factor to most of us in the USDA 9 a/b+ & Sunset 13+ is heat-tolerance. Cold is a quick killer; heat kills slowly, torturing plants to death.

This article was written by a New Englander, but it's full of good info, plus links to both the USDA map and the AHS's Heat Zone map. These are great references, but not the final word on "will it grow here?" as that depends on much, much more. I'd love to hear commentary on this subject, especially from those who always dare to push the envelope.

Here is a link that might be useful: Will it grow here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

For those who haven't seen it, here's the AHS Heat Zone map.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat Zone Map

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 2:26PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Totally good points! I'm sure you're right that a lot of people forget about taking heat into consideration. I love how you describe it as a slow torture to some plants, LOL. So true!

I do see more and more plants listing heat zone hardiness too, and there's also a very good book about heat-zone gardening too (I'll add the link below). Thanks for highlighting this important factor in our gardening successes (and failures, LOL). Happy gardening, Grant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat Zone Gardening book

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 4:25PM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

Heat, and lack of humidity. I think that is what gets most of the broader leaved plants from "back east", seeing as many of them can take a good amount of heat.

I'm seeing Heucheras rated for zone 9, but I'm betting that's not *our* zn 9....

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 8:42PM
lazy_gardens

That's why Sunset developed their own maps. Any scheme that puts Phoenix AZ and Tampa FL into the same agricultural classification is fatally flawed.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 4:38PM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

Exactly!

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™