Transplanting Phyllostachys aurea rhizones

bobby_c(z7 DC)April 13, 2009

Hi,

I need a privacy fence along a border of my property - a friend is going to dig up and give me some Golden bamboo rhizones. It is mid-April and there is still the possibility (though small) of a freeze for another month - is it too early to plant? Should the soil warm up more? And if I do plant now, how long would I epect to see growth?

Thanks (and I'll be careful about how it spreads),

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

You should be able to plant later in the month, but, if you're just going to get rhizomes, you will probably be disappointed. First, the success rate from chunks of rhizome can be pretty low (like 1 in 4). Second, it will take a couple of years to get modest growth, and it will probably be at least 5 years before the bamboo is even 4-5' tall. If you want a privacy hedge in less than 5-10 years, you're going to have to start with some real plants.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 10:05PM
bobby_c(z7 DC)

OK - good to know! If rhizomes are planted, how long does it take for them to begin shooting growth?
Thanks!

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 11:02AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Shooting of actual culms may take several years. You might get some bushy growth a couple inches high this year or next, but don't expect miracles from rhizome cuttings.

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
home terrasse
need help for my home terrasse
linabichebl
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Bamboo Resilience
Last spring I picked up a clumping bamboo from a plant...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™