Is there a non-spreading bamboo?

Gardener972(7b-8a DFW)April 10, 2007

Is there such thing as a well behaved bamboo that doesn't spread?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

ALL bamboo spreads, but they are generally divided into two groups, runners and clumpers.

I have seen runners spread 15+ feet per year, and I have seen clumpers spread only 4 or 5 inches in as many years.

Some clumpers spread rather quickly and are called 'open' clumpers whereas others grow very tightly and compact and spreading is very slow.

There are dozens to choose from that will grow well in your area. I would look at some of the Bambusas, particularly the B. multiplexes. Depending on the protection that your bamboo will get from the cold, how tall you want it to grow, how much sun it will get, and a few other variables, you can narrow it down to just a few.

Good Luck

Kt

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 9:48PM
butterfly4u

Plastic bamboo won't spread.

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 2:15AM
Gardener972(7b-8a DFW)

I have a spot against the house that gets dappled afternoon sun in the way that it's shaded by a pecan tree. What clumping variety would you suggest that would get to be about 3-4 ft. tall? Thanks.

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 11:27AM
kentuck_8b(__)

I am mostly familiar with Bambusas, so you may look into some of these:

Bambusa multiplex 'Riviereorum' aka CHINESE GODDESS. Grows to 6 feet in height.

B. multiplex 'Tiny Fern' grows to 3 feet in height.

B. multiplex 'Tiny Fern Striped', 3 feet in height.

They are listed as FULL sun bamboos, but I have many multiplexes in almost complete shade and they do fine, but tend to grow a bit taller than their listed height.

Also remember that bamboo culms, once trimmed or topped-off, will remain at that height for the rest of their life.

Good Luck

Kt

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 9:30PM
bill_ut

Check out the American Bamboo Society website. It has some very helpful info and references. Also Bambooweb.info has a handy bamboo selection tool to match bamboo with the planting location you are considering.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Bamboo Socieity

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 3:41PM
lilies4me

I don't mean to be rude or negative but how in the world could you possibly be reading in the Bamboo Forum and not see a zillion answers/replies to your very simple question? I personally believe it's rude and inappropriate to ask questions of the Forum before checking to see if the topic has been dealt with previously. Just my opinion...just seems like a matter of courtesy.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
growth speed and how to grow moso and giant bamboo?
Hi everyone! I just orderd some Moso bamboo seeds(EDULIS/PUBESCENCE)...
BalanceA
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™