Dwarf Lady Finger banana not doing so good

elizabethk1April 6, 2014

I splurged and purchased a dwarf lady finger from Logee's and it's been failing since it arrived. It had six leaves, three are dead and a 4th is dying. The fifth is getting brown around the edges. The tip of the new leave emerging from the center is brown. When it arrived, I put it in indirect light and gradually introduced to east window. I waited 2 weeks to transplant and fertilize. I went up from a 4" to a 6" pot. I used Miracle Gro potting mix w/fertilizer, perlite and peat moss. One can only find Miracle Gro potting mix around here I called Logee's and they said the plant was in shock from the fertilizer in the potting mix. They advised me to flush water thru the plant for 10 minutes. I did this. I ordered Pro Mix online and expect it any day. I will transplant it into the Pro Mix when it arrives. Is there anything else I can do to save the plant? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bamatufa(7 - Trussville, AL)

Make sure soil is not too dry or saturated in water..

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elizabethk1

Thanks bamatufa. It's been a while, so I wanted to update - I'm getting the hang of it now. I did repot the plant in pro-mix and I'm really keeping a close eye on the watering needs of the plant. Every leaf died, but a new shoot started growing beside the main plant. It now has 2 leaves, so I am hopeful. Logee's very kindly sent me another plant and it's doing really well. I think being outside in the sun has helped turn things around. With any luck, I'll have 2 great dwarf bananas.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
unknown banana
Hello, I got a banana plant and was pretty excited...
sunshine34662
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
Banana tree has fruit on it. Now What?
Hey, when do I know it's time to cut the stalk of fruit...
elbeardo
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
Sponsored Products
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs Film Cell Frame
$79.99 | zulily
Kaddur Kids Chair in Red
$600.00 | LexMod
Seven Dwarfs Cookie Jar
$59.99 | zulily
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs Pre-Pasted Mural
$99.99 | zulily
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs FilmCells™ Framed Wall Art
$59.99 | zulily