Creating a Bamboo Screen

muggsieApril 28, 2010

My wife and live in a new urban area in Central Virginia (Charlottesville). We want to block out the view of some Townhouses that are across the street from us. To do this, we have research many different plants, but think we have settled on bamboo.

Our idea is to kill two birds with one stone. We want to create a digging area for our small children so we thought that we could bury 5 to 7 containers of bamboo in plastic containers so that they wouldn't over take our yard in a "sand bed." We were thinking we would plant 8 to 10 shoots per container.

We need bamboo that will grow at least 12 feet high.

Any suggestions on types of bamboo that will do well in this area of the country?

Any suggestions on the type of container to purchase to house the bamboo?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan_l(6)

From what I could find Charlottesville is zone 7, so you have lots of choices, but most (all?) of them are running bamboos. Containing their spread with a barrier of some type is a good idea, but sinking containers probably will not work -- the rhizomes will escape through any drainage holes that the pot has. You should be able to leave the pots above ground though.

You'll only want to put one plant in each pot, as each plant might have several culms (shoots, canes) already but will definitely produce more each year.

The problem with growing in pots is that the plants will get "rootbound" after a couple of years and will need to be reduced by division. You could instead put the plant(s) in the ground and use rhizome barrier, or rhizome prune to keep the plant's spread controlled.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 8:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

Burying the pots will NEVER ever keep them confined. They will eventually burst though the plastic or rhizomes will find another way out.--Bamboo roots would probably get though a concrete planter eventually! As suggested above, if you go with bamboo, you are either going to have to rhizome prune once or twice a year, or have a rhizome barrier put in.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™