does bamboo grow in one direction?

topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)April 26, 2010

I planted black bamboo along my back fence hoping that it would continue along the fence, but it has grown straight out into the yard. Does it grow north to south instead of east to west? Can I move it now? I tried to move a young shoot last year and it died.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

Bamboo will grow in any direction that has desireable growing conditions.

I've transplanted black bamboo(P. nigra) at all times of the year with success, but the big trick to that is to get enough rootball around the culms(s).

Best times for success in transplanting are in early Spring or late Fall, or when the plant is dormant(Winter).

During transplanting, do NOT let the rootball dry out before replanting. I think that is the most common reason for losing a transplant. After re-planting, keep watered well.

Kt

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 10:40PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I'd like to expand on thing in kentuck's excellent answer. Bamboo is not like other plants: new shoots are too fragile to survive. They do not have a significant root structure, and severing the connection to the main plant is like cutting an umbilical cord. You generally only have luck with a division surviving if you select a mature, fully-leafed out culm with adequate root mass. If I'm doing a division, I typically select a chunk with one or more culms that are at least a year old, and on average I take a root ball about the size of a soccer ball.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 12:18PM
alan_l(6)

The other thing to note is that the bamboo you planted could also have grown straight under the fence into your neighbor's yard (or whatever is over there). Besides upsetting neighbors, it's also one of the reasons bamboo has such a bad reputation with many people.

You should take steps to avoid this with either rhizome barrier or rhizome pruning a few times each year. The rhizomes of running bamboos can extend much farther than the shoots indicate.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™