Split Tomatoes

DustyRoseAZMay 29, 2012

Why does every one of my "Celebrity" tomatoes have several splits in the skin? I also have planted the "Phoenix" variety and they are doing well - no splits. They are right next to each other! (I live in Phoenix, so thought I'd try them as they are supposed to be heat resistant.) So far so good with them. Won't be fully ripe for a couple of days so I don't know how they will taste, but they are big! Thanks for any help you can give.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Did they have an episode of erratic watering? That's usually the cause.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 8:13AM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

Some varieties are prone to cracking - regardless of anything else. They just do. Usually larger toms.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 9:21AM
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ

yeah only the larger tomatoes that I have get the splitting on the top. I thought this was caused by the triple digit temps but I guess it's normal?

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 4:08PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Congratulations on your tomato crop! Sorry to hear about the split skins. I'll just add my voice to the chorus that the larger the tomato, the more likely it is to split here, and the more fluctuations in water the more likely they are to split. I always visualize a beating heart, LOL, swelling up when they have lots of water and then contracting a bit when they're a bit drier, so that occasionally splits form as they suck up water in the heat. Usually they're still very good to eat. In general, I grow small tomatoes like mini yellow pear and 'Sun Gold' my favorite cherry tomato, as the smallies seem less likely to split/crack, but even they do now and then.

Please let us know what you think of the flavor of your 'Phoenix' variety. We're curious!

Take care and happy gardening!
Grant

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 3:31PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

DustyRoseAZ emailed me a couple of pics to embed here so folks can see. I have total tomato envy, LOL! Dusty, can you share with everyone how they tasted? Great job on these puppies!

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 3:07PM
pokerguard

after 4 years of trying to grow tomatoes in Phoenix, I gave up because they split... I could only grow Roman varieties, and they're not the same as "regular" tomatoes.

I am trying green chile instead.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™