Lotus Banana Flowering Question

montyburns(z6a MA)April 23, 2008

This will be my 3rd summer with the same Lotus Banana (Musella Lasiocarpa)it has put out tons of pups, but I am wondering if I can expect it to flower this summer. I remember reading that 3 summers of growth would get it there...any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

This is actually one of my favorite bananas to grow. Mine flowered when it was actually rather small (under three feet). I would just suggest that you give it as much sun as you can, remember to fertilize and water regularly throughout the spring and summer months. A protected south facing wall is helpful for extra warmth before tropical heat really kicks in (then I would move it to a cooler locale--depending on your summer conditions). I am assuming that you are growing it as a containerized plant and are able to summer it outdoors. The attractive flowers last a surprisingly long time, and as you pointed out they sucker generously. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 9:28PM
tropicallvr(11)

Good recommendation.
I babyed mine for about three years(dividing every other year) then last summer totally neglected it, barely gave it enough water and it bloomed a small little bloom.
I bet your's will bloom soon.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 11:05PM
austinl(Little Rock, AR, 8a)

You may be able to expect this after three years!

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
Banana Palm uprooted in winds!
How can I save it???
Green4les
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
First Year End Red Esente
This is the first year of growing Bananas (Red Esente)...
DueanGross
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™