When will different varieties shoot?

joefalco(z8 MB SC)April 13, 2010

I live in South Carolina Zone 8. I have a few different types of bamboo, One is what I suspect to be yellow groove and it is shooting, I also have Arrow which has started to shoot.

I was wondering when Moso will be shooting? I am hoping to see some improvement with this one this year.

Also my semiaurandia fastusia (Spelling is horrible)

The last ones are my bambusa multiplex species, They look almost dead after this harsh winter. When should I expect to see some action with these.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

Moso is always the first to shoot here, closely followed by P. nigra and other large Phyllostachys except Henon, which is always one of the last of the runners to shoot.

My Semiarundinaria Yashadake Kimmei has begun shooting also.

My bambusas rarely shoot early unless they are recovering from Winter damage or some other stress. Unfortunately here, some got burned pretty bad this past Winter and may not return.

Kt

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 9:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboozler

I don't grow moso but here in the Mid-Atlantic Spectabilis and Aureocaulis are the first to shoot, mine started the end of March and are now over 6' tall. Bisettii and Japonica began shooting last week. Rubro, Nigra and Robert Young have begun to shoot in pots this week. We've had some unusually warm weather in the 80's in the last 2 weeks which may have contributed to getting things started.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™