Cuttings of Vines that can deal with south facing block wall

Maxgarden(9b)May 5, 2012

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to AZ. We're moving to a new house at the end of this month. The house is great, but the yard has been neglected- it's just dirt with a big saringa (that's what we call it in Africa) tree.

I found out about 1) Tempe's landscape rebate program for xeriscaping and 2)SRP's tree program, so YAY!!!

But I'd really like to get some FAST growing, heat tolerant vine cuttings so I can plant along the back garden wall. I'm also looking for sunflower seeds (native ones) to plant along the walls.

Please let me know if you have any cuttings to spare :-) Thanks so much!

Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Fast-growing heat-tolerant vines

Get some Armenian cucumber seeds - they will grow extremely fast if you give them water and some sort of trellis to the top of the wall.

They are an annual, but that gives you time to get Queen's wreath established from 1-gallon plants.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 6:03PM
Maxgarden(9b)

Thanks for that tip!!

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 6:35PM
tracydr(9b)

I have some cats claw tubers, if you'd like.
Caution. You'll never get rid of them.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 7:14PM
ernie85017, zn 9, phx

Tracydr: You know you can get rid of cat's claw!
You can move away!

It took several years, but mine has run amok. I had no idea they had everlasting life - until this year when I wanted to remove them. Good for covering my S facing wall, until they got woody and started creeping across the yard.

They must be related to bermuda.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 3:39PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

My cat's claw isn't running into the yard, but it is climbing over the roof! If you want something covered and you don't much care about getting rid of it; cat's claw is the ticket. That and campsis radicans, aka trumpet vine. I've got plenty of that, too, if you'd like some.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 4:31PM
plstqd(9)

If you want Armenian cucumber seeds, I'm in Tempe and have some that I'd be glad to share.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 10:11PM
Maxgarden(9b)

@plstqd Yes please! I'm going to try everyone's ideas and report back which is the most successful!
It is too late in the season to plant cukes?

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:16PM
plstqd(9)

Regular cucumbers, yes it's too late, but Armenian cucumbers, which are actually a melon, love the heat. Send me an email through the forum, and we'll hook you up with some seeds.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:30PM
DustyRoseAZ

Several years ago I planted some cat's claw because I wanted it to cover my house - like a charming English cottage. Well, it covered my house and began climbing in through my windows, (even climbing the inside walls) tearing up my screens, and the stucco on my exterior walls. The outside truly was charming, but underneath the pretty blooms were the old woody vines and they became an attraction to mosquitos, bees, and even bats! I cut down the vines and tried and tried to eradicate the tubers, but never could get them all. Finally moved away, so no longer an issue. I wouldn't touch cat's claw with a 10 ft pole! Just sayin'...

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 3:42PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned: Silver Lace vine. It's evergreen, grows vigorously and covers fences in a single bound. Sorry, couldn't resist. I have one that I was certain needed to have some shade, but turns out it does not like shade - or too much of it. Another local gardener (who isn't here, apparently) has one in full sun and says it does extremely well. I'm moving mine to the sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Lace Vine

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
Ever grow melons in containers?
Ok, so my eyes were a lot bigger than my gardening...
captaininsano
NOT in love with my sapote tree
Hi everyone, I'm so NOT in love with my grafted sapote...
grant_in_arizona
Which plants they are?
Anyone can help me identify these 3 plants? I have...
lenering
Water Softener
I'm going to install a new water softener to replace...
newtoucan
Desert Botanical Garden Spring Sale
FYI, their Bi-Annual Plant Sale is this weekend... Link...
asudevil311 - zone 9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™