Dang. Should I dig up my potentially dead Ph. Nigra?

threemonstersApril 8, 2009

I am typing on my wimpy itouch, so it's slow going and I can't upload my pictures! I bought a five gallon nigra off of eBay in January or so. Showed up with moist soil, etc and a sawed off, 2.5 ft tall 2.5 " thick culm plant.... I knew I was buying the root system, so I wasn't worried about no leaves, etc.

I popped it into a pot and watered it until I could get it into the ground... After digging the a gigantic hole for the installation of the bamboo barrier, I finally planted the Nigra.

Fast forward to now.... Texas has had it's fair share of below freezing nights, and now I'm thinking it's dead. My outdoor simonii JUST put up some shoots, but no sign of shooting from the nigra. The culm was never a true black, but is now more of a light green, mottled with black at the nodes. It's in full sun, so I wasn't sure if the color change was because of that?

I'm not sure if Nigra turns a death yellow like my other bamboo when they expire? But the point is, no shoots. I am tempted to dig it up just because it looks silly as a gigantic stump thing poking out of the ground... Ya think it's dead?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

Don't touch it. Let it alone for a few weeks and see what happens.

Mine hasn't shooted yet either, and it's an established grove. Give it time. If the culms are green, then it is OK. It's too early to throw in the towel.

Good Luck

Kt

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 11:51PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Mine haven't come up yet, either.

Josh

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 2:43AM
threemonsters

Oh, thank goodness...all my others bamboo have sent something up, so I was really perplexed with the Nigra. Let me know when yours starts shooting!

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 9:17AM
hello_c_j_here(7 Cary, NC)

Hmmm something to do with planters -vs- in ground. I split up a 50+ gallon of P. Nigra 2 months ago. 1/2 went back into the ground and the other half I split into 3 divisions and placed back in planters on the deck. All 3 planters have sent up new culms just this past week. The larger division in the ground has done nothing...some new leaf growth is all.
CJ

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 11:13AM
patdagardenguy

My belief is that the soil heats up quicker in the container, opposed to the ground temp staying cooler much longer. The boo is tricked to thinking it is later in the year. My container started shooting weaks ago, and I still have nothing from the Boo in the ground.

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 4:02PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

threemonsters-
Nothing you've said makes me think it's necessarily dead. And, if it's alive, it might not even shoot until next year. When you shock a bamboo by dividing it, and then shock it more by chopping off the culm so severely that there aren't any leaves left, it can take a long time to recover.

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 5:46PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Finally, a shoot...just spotted this afternoon.
I hope your Black Bamboo is waking up, as well!

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™