squirrel proofing shoots experiment

pontyrogof(8b)April 15, 2014

I had some solar sidewalk lights with nonrepaceable rechargeable batteries left over from the previous owner, some rogue bamboo roots also from previous owner that were shooting up where I could use a new little grove, and some pesky squirrels. I don't know the bamboo variety, but the skinnier culms now have a chance to toughen up. How tall should I let them get before taking off their shields?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveh_sf(San Francisco)

My experience has been that squirrels won't bother shoots about as tall as the tall one on the left. You definitely want to take off those covers before branches start, of course. I've used pieces of 1/2" hardware cloth folded into cylinders to protect new shoots. They have the advantage of being able to unfold them if I forget and leave them on until after branches start.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:25AM
pontyrogof(8b)

Oh, well. Will this one still grow?

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 2:52PM
pontyrogof(8b)

What about this one. It has one leaf lower down. I get the need for tubes of hardware cloth.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 2:56PM
pontyrogof(8b)

I think I need to put a sock on this one until it gets safely past the roofline. I hear squirrels running around up there from time to time.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 2:59PM
stevelau1911

It looks like you have phyllostachys aurea which is a pretty invasive type which will run all over the place so I don't think you really need to do that much to protect it.

Even shoots that get nibbled off will just keep growing, maybe just a bit shorter.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:23PM
pontyrogof(8b)

Keep growing? What about this one? By the way, thanks to stevelau19 for the id, and daveh_sf for the anti squirrel tip. The golden comes from my uphill neighbor who used to have it ringing their back yard. The current people mow it down. I am so busy with much more invasive crap, English ivy, asiatic jasmine, kudzu, wolfbane, nandina, VA creeper, skunk vine, I am happy to have a weed that I can control by eating the shoots!

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 9:17AM
stevelau1911

If it's not rising at all, that shoot is probably done for good, but the energy that would have gone in that shoot will go somewhere else. If you don't mind annual shoot tipping, then it should be fine to grow it.

If you are growing for shoot production, you may get better tasting shoots with phyllostachys dulcis.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 1:06AM
pontyrogof(8b)

Annual shoot tipping? I will google that. The big one at the roof didn't make it past another 12 inches.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 11:49AM
pontyrogof(8b)

However, as stevelau1911 says, energy goes elsewhere...the shoot at upper right was bit off at the ground after it had reached over a foot high, and within twenty four hours the shoot at lower left appeared (see in tp tube).

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 11:54AM
pontyrogof(8b)

Still growing after tipped

This post was edited by pontyrogof on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 9:04

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™