Basjoo survival this winter

chrisware(5-6 wv)April 30, 2014

I really don't know what winter number this one was... Several, but it is the first year that I put all my basjoos in the ground. I didn't keep any indoors in pots like I usually have in previous years.
This winter was horrible, as everyone knows. Temps fell way below,zero many times, sometimes as low as -20 and wind chills that killed many other limbs of some,of my ornamental trees.
However, I don't appear to have lost even one basjoo. Of the nine or so areas where I have them, all are coming up, even pups are coming up. About a third were covered with some bags of leaves, a few with nursery pots full of leaves, inverted with a stone or brick on top... And,the rest just cut on an angle near the ground.
Everyone is fine! The slowest to start growth was the 3 1/2 feet deep one. Most of the others were put in two to three feet deep, some less.
One large clump is at ground level. It was just covered with some raked up soil and loads of banana tops from fall.

Now I guess I need to try a Mekong giant pup!

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bamatufa(7 - Trussville, AL)

That's good information for us further South who worry about temps.My Saba just popped up a pup this week and was the last one I was worried about so all mine survived with no added protection.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
How big are your zebrinas
On the Going Bananas site it says 6-8 ft but of course...
sfhellwig
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
Banana tree not doing well
I have a big banana tree that has been thriving until...
sibbell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™